If you want that lush and green summer lawn that will make you the talk of the neighbourhood, now is the perfect time to start. Weed free lawns free of bare patches do not just happen, it takes preparation, maintenance and some work to achieve this desired look. As the premier agent for all your Penticton real estate needs, I would like to share the following spring lawn care tips that will help you achieve the coveted summer yard.
The most important tool for keeping an even and healthy lawn is your lawnmower. Make sure that it is in top condition this spring by doing the following maintenance:
- Replace or clean the sparkplug and air filter. A clean plug and filter will allow your lawnmower to run more efficiently.
- Add a fuel stabilizer to keep your lawnmower’s engine running smoothly.
- Change the oil.
- Sharpen the blade. A dull blade will make ragged cuts and your lawn will be more susceptible to disease.
Give it a Rake
It is so important to thoroughly rake your yard to remove all the dead grass. This dead grass otherwise known as thatch can build up and create problems such as drought. It will also allow weeds to spring up in your yard. Removing the thatch from your lawn will allow air to reach the soil and promote a healthy and vibrant yard.
Seed and Sod
Once you have removed the thatch and other debris, take the time to reseed and re-sod your lawn. An early reseeding will fill in any bare patches and make your lawn that much fuller in the upcoming months. Be sure to follow the directions on the package and properly water your lawn to allow your seeds to grow.
It is never too early to start a spring routine. The more time you spend on your yard in the early spring, the healthier your lawn will be this summer. Some great routine habits to establish early, to ensure a happy and healthy yard, include:
- Water your lawn regularly and try to do it early in the morning or in the evening to prevent any burning or evaporation. Always check your local watering restrictions.
- Edge your yard to clearly define the boundaries between your lawn and landscaping.
- Reseed a few times over the year and use an organic fertilizer to keep your lawn healthy, lush and green.
- When mowing, choose a higher setting and mow more frequently. You can also mow in alternate directions to promote healthy grass.
By starting your lawn care this spring, you will be able to enjoy a healthy yard this summer. If you would like other spring lawn care tips or are interested in some of the many new and exciting real estate options that are available in Penticton, please contact me today. I look forward to hearing from you soon.